Monday 31 December 2012

A Great End to 2012 at Frodsham Marsh

I had a visit to a new reserve today called Parkgate, there wasn't much there since the tide was out; however there were a few Curlew, Teal, a Deceit of Lapwing joined by 2 Black Tailed Godwits, a few Mallards and a solitary Redshank. I plan to visit here a lot more in the New Year, especially during the high tides when the raptors go hunting.

We soon moved on to Frodsham Marsh (after enjoying our picnic), however we had to call back home, as dad had forgotten the camera.


When we eventually got to the Marshes we were joined by 4 species of wader; Lapwing, Golden Plover (a first for me), Redshank and a few Curlews; duck wise there were 2 Pintail, Teal, Mallard and a couple of Pochard.


We kept seeing Cormorants flying over the car quite low, and then when we looked into No.6 tank we found out where they had gone.


My favorite duck species were out today, this male Teal was rather close to the bank. 


This Buzzard was looking a bit confused in which way to go. 


This Kestrel was doing quite well to defend it's territory from this Buzzard who was at least 5 times bigger.


Raptors were everywhere today, especially Buzzards, they were everywhere you looked!!!!!!!!! 


We met a local farmer on the track who said that he had been clearing a ditch so all the flood water from the fields would run in to it. He could then put the cattle back in the fields, because he didn't have enough food stored up for winter. 

I spotted a pair of active Stone Chats perched on a dead thistle. I think the male are one of the most colorful birds. 


It was getting quite dark so I couldn't get any more bright pictures, but I did like this Grey Heron flying home.


Well that's it for 2012, it's really been a brilliant year.

I hope you all have great 2013 full of birds and nature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






22 comments:

  1. A great post Findlay. Looks like you had a super day out and you spotted an excellent selection of birds.
    Best wishes to you and your family for 2013 and I hope you have a wonderful birding year...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Findlay....Your two Stonechats at Frodsham Marsh made my day, they're making very little come back since their demise following the return of the Ice Age the past two winters and the ones I survey at several locations have shown virtually no return at all as yet, fingers crossed for 2013. Please would you note, I'm interested in any Stonechat records you may get from now on.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent account of your day Findlay. You saw some good birds there to finish off the year. I hope 2013 iss even better for you; I'm sure it will be.
    All the very best to you and your family for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series, and a Happy New Year to you. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great day out Findlay. Glad you saw plenty of buzzards when I was your age they were so very very rare in the north west.
    Nice one with the stonechats too - think I only saw one all year...

    best wishes to you and your family for 2013

    DaveyMan

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great series! Wishing you and your family all the best in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice post Findlay. I like your Stonechats. A lovely bird to see. All the best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an adventure seeing nature's wondrous gifts and great photos ^_^

    (A Creative Harbor aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Findlay - so glad to visit you - I too love bird watching but I don't always know all the species and types like you do. Looks like you finished out the new year with some great photos. Thanks for sharing - Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great birds and outing! Love the photos, looks like a great place to see the birds. I wish you all the best in the New Year, Findlay! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. High tide at Parkgate is fabulous Findlay, especially during the spring bore high tide when the water can actually come over the walls and flood the street. This flushes lots of small mammals out of the marsh. I recently saw Great White Egret & Short Eared Owls (5) at Parkgate. If you have not visited RSPB Burton Wetlands, this is a fantastic site for waders, duck, raptors and small birds like redpoll, goldcrest & siskin. Plus we have a Water Rail :) Happy birdwatching in 2013. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking us along on your day trip. Best wishes for a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff Findlay... dad will have to let me know how you get down there. Love the picture of the confused Buzzard!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had a wonderful day out Findlay. I hope 2013 is as good as 2012 for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great series of photos - and happy new year to you with lots more birds to see and photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great set of pictures - I like the buzzard working out which way to go! Like one of the posts above said, buzzards were not at all common when I was young - and I lived on Somerset, where you at least had a chance of seeing one!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a great day Findlay. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice shots, Findlay! I like the tree full of cormorants.
    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great shots for a grey day. You have lots of birds to watch.
    Wishing you another great birding year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cormorants have a distinctive profile. I saw several in a drainage area near a shopping center today. I should have tried to go back for pics. Love the buzzard deciding which way to go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great day out Findlay. Happy 2013 with lots of birding.

    ReplyDelete