Saturday 15 September 2012

A "Quiet" Day At Home!

As I didn't go anywhere today (apart from some great goal keeping from me this morning) I decided to sit in my garden and try and get some good photos of the birds that feed and visit my garden. I especially liked this picture I took not only because it's a cute, fluffy juvenile Greenfinch, but also that I was about half a metre away when I took it (I was trying to hand feed it)


I also got this picture of two Goldfinches which to be honest I don't think seemed to like each other.



There were quite a few tits in the garden this morning especially Blue Tits.


There were 3 or 4 Great Tits as well, however I could only manage to get this picture.


A pair of Coal Tits were passing through, however sadly I didn't get a picture.
There was a Chaffinch sitting on the fence, first male I've seen in 2 days.


Finally the local farmar had hired another farmer to plant the grass seeds in the field behind my house.       
                                

Which has invited a whole new variety of birds like the Pied Wagtails.


The best thing about today was getting an all new visitor in the garden, a Nuthatch.
I think this is a male.


I love this picture because I got the Goldfinch elegantly coming into land.


A feeding Greenfinch and Goldfinch


So much to enjoy in the garden today.


I am really looking forward to going to Martin Mere tomorrow.

Mr Fluffy at the start of the blog is a definite My Sunday Best

17 comments:

  1. Bonitas fotos,ya veo que tienes el comedero muy concurrido.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hola Isidro
      My mum and I have been on Google translate and yes we have a busy feeder.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos of your backyard birds, Findlay. I'm impressed by your knowledge and so happy you sharing with us at Your Sunday Best. Great to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is looks like a bird sanctuary ~ Fantastic photos ~ What captures and what a gift! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for visit us on "Les Fous du Cap" ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Pied Wagtail looks like a White Wagtail (right time of year) Findlay, ask someone who knows what they're talking about to see if they agree with me.

    Have a nice day at Martin Mere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put the picture on the Chatterbirds page to see if anyone can help. From Findlay

      Delete
  6. You really have a nice group of birds visiting your feeder. Today I had Sparrows! There were so many of them. Not sure where the House Finches went but I'm sure they'll be back tomorrow. Love your shots. You're right about the goldfinches being different. You have some beautiful ones with lovely markings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there - great set of "at home shots" - the nuthatch is a great little bird; I never got tired of watching them.

    I think if one of my Sooty Oystercatchers turned up in Somerset it would cause a very serious twitch!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. great stuff Findlay - you cant beat Garden bird watching, you can even have a cuppa at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots of your garden birds, Findlay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww. I love little birds. Thank you for sharing.

    Jenny
    ~Black Fox Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the backlit bird in the first image. I come from a long line of avid birders, but I think that I could barely identify a cardinal or a Robin if pressed. Though I admire people who just have this knowledge somewhere in their heads. Really. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came here from Volcano Cafe. Great job here Findlay. I'm going to show your blog to my son, who is also ten. I hope it inspires him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WoW-zers, you get a nice variety of birds and have photographed them beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete