Sunday 21 July 2013

Super Saturday

Yesterday, according to Peter was Super Saturday, because he had cut some new net rides and when I saw them I thought the day should be called Spectacular Super Saturday; it was an early start of course 3.30am and lots of effort put in and at the end of the ringing session it really was a Super Saturday! We were joined by James and  Pete, which was great as I had not seen James for a while. 

Warbler wise we caught quite a few Sedge Warblers in the reed bed net, and we also caught about 20 Blackcap a few Wrens, Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, Song Thrush, Blue Tit, Blackbirds, ChiffChaff and... 


...A Grasshopper Warbler! This was a juvenile so it didn't have the beautiful golden streaky underside of the adult.  I was extremely lucky to ring this bird and study it up close and learn about the difference between the the Tertial feathers between adults and juvenilles.


 Here is a back view of it to show it's Tertials, you can see how broad and new they look.


It wasn't just birds that we caught today, a newt was passing through where we had set up. I potted it for a few seconds to study it up close then I let it go into some long grass.


I won't be blogging this next week (apart from the week end) because I will be at my Grandma's (Red Starts have a second brood) I will be taking my moth trap so when I get back I will have a lot of news to share. See you then!!

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. What a treat that was to be able to study the gropper, and the newt, up close Findlay?

    Have a good stay at your Grandma's this coming week and I'm looking forwards to seeing lots of stunning moth and Red Start images!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. some early days for you, but i know you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a lovely holiday Findlay... I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20 Blackcaps and a Gropper - That is a really good day out Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good Saturday in all. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grasshopper Warbler...that's a new one for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great experience. I wosh I had been there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the grasshopper warbler is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like being up early with the birds! Love the photos and it is neat experience ringing the birds. Great shots, Findlay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful experience and shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great outing and opportunity for you; enjoy that time away at your Grandmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, there are not that many blogs where people get excited about fresh tertails! Nice one!

    Cheers and thanks for the link to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Findlay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are having a great learning experience that many adults would envy. Well done and enjoy your stay with your grandma.
    Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems your Saturday was, indeed, Super! Wonderful post, pictures and information!
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant account! I got nice memories when i found this blog and its pictures. indeed, you have good knowledge and great sympathy for birds and moths.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are learning so much I envy you. :) Have a great break.

    Do you know I have a meme for winged ones? You can share butterflies, dragonflies as well as birds. Everything with wings. :)
    http://nfmemes.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete