Saturday 22 February 2014

A Golden North Wales for Half term

It is coming up to the end of my half term, however it has definitely proved worth it. The majority of the week I was at my Grandma's in Wales; unfortunately though we only got one trip out to Conwy , but I still got to see lots of birds. Winter in Wales is always spectacular and although no snow was on the ground where we set foot, the mountains were covered in it, showing off some fantastic views.


It was the only day of the week that luckily did not rain, and not overcast either. The sun was out allowing me to get some fantastic scenery pictures.


Considering this Golden Eye was a long way away, I am pretty pleased with my pictures. This is the first time I have ever seen one at RSPB Conwy so it was really quite nice.


These birds always seem to make me more happy inside, with their mesmerizing colors and splendid water acrobatics.  



It wasn't just waterfowl we saw that day, plenty of waders including these gorgeous Curlews all huddled up together. 


I did manage, even though it rained most of the time, to fit in a bit of ditch digging with my Grandpa; seeing one or two birds including a solitary Red Kite and a few Buzzards circling over head.


I didn't manage to see the Great Grey Shrike this time, but I bet it was in that Scrub lurking somewhere. Never mind I'll catch it another day.


So a perfect week which is not completely over yet. I can't wait to tell you about today's Nuthatches, but that's going to be another blog post.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you had a good break in Wales Findlay.
    Great shots of the snow capped mountains...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditch digging eh - need a man who's good with a shovel for some projects here!
    Shame about the shrike but kites are a big bonus, v hard to find when I was your age

    Cheers

    DaveyMan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the landscape photo's Findlay a nice contrats between the snow capped mountains and the green fields. Looks and sounds like you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete