Saturday 14 July 2012

Greater Spotted Woodpecker in my garden.

I keep a good suply of bird food available at all times (which I have been doing for a few years now).
However I use different types of foods for different species of birds. For example I use meal worms to invite Robins, Starlings and Blackbirds and use nuts to invite Tits and Nuthatches (even though I don't get Nuthatches yet).

Now as I have kept on feeding birds and kept a good suply of food, one time in the garden a female Greater Spotted Woodpecker visited my garden to have a good nibble on the seeds and fat, even though I don't really live near woodland. Hope she comes back now that she knows where some nice food is.

Big day tomorrow, getting dad up really, really early to see what we can find.

7 comments:

  1. The Great Spotted Woodpecker is a great find, and getting dad up early, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great visitor to the garden. I'm sure she'll be back.

    I'm up early too. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not been back yet, but today was great

      Delete
  3. Lovely capture of the woodpecker I haven't had one in my garden. I hope you get to see some wonderful birds this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Findlay - I used to get the odd one in my garden and a great variety of birds including bullfinches and goldfinches but I've recently moved to the other side of town and have no trees in the garden - I'm desperate to attract some more birds other than the pigeons, magpies and blackbirds I'm getting so any tips you have would be gratefully received. Great to see you so animated about wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Well to start off with really you want to put a different variety of foods to attract different birds, for example: hanging feeders can be filled with nuts and seeds to attract tits and sparrows, and throwing fruits like currants on to the ground will attract Blackbirds robins chaffinches and so on.
      Another vital ingredient to make a good garden for birds is to create quite a bit of shelter for birds. So it would be a good idear to grow shrubs (big and small) and trees (big and small).
      I hope this helps.
      from Findlay

      Delete