Monday 15 October 2012

Beaumaris & RSPB Conwy

On the Sunday of the weekend, I visited a castle in Beaumaris which was right next to the Menai Straits, where I got a lovely view of Snowdonia.


The moat of the castle was filled with ducks and even a few Mute Swans came right up to a bridge that we were standing on.


After the castle visit I visited the RSPB Conwy Reserve where I saw loads of lovely waders like Oyster Catchers and Curlew. I also saw Grey Heron, a Kestrel and lots Herring  Gulls..


In my opinion I think that this next bird is a Whimbrel, but I just want to make sure, does any one agree.  I was thinking it might be a Curlew, but I have studied my books carefully.


There were plenty of Little Egrets about, I counted at least 8.


There was a lovely Redshank wading in a pool of water rather close to me. Finally I have got to see one.


Here is a picture of Conway Castle which you can see from the reserve.


The only waterfowl that were out and about were mostly Teal, Coots and Tufted Ducks.


There were plenty of Mute Swans out on the reserve, mostly preening themselves at the very edge of the estuary. But this group flew right over us.


I can't wait to go back to RSPB Conwy, it's a great place, especially being right next to the estuary.

On the way home I counted loads of Buzzaards the most I have ever seen on a trip home. On one bit of the A55 they were perched on most of the lamp posts.

Back home now, but lots of great memories are filling my head.


25 comments:

  1. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, glad you enjoyed your visit to Conwy. I think the wader is a curlew. Our Whimbrels are now in west Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, glad you enjoyed your visit to Conwy. I think the wader is a curlew. Our Whimbrels are now in west Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, glad you enjoyed your visit to Conwy. I think the wader is a curlew. Our Whimbrels are now in west Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful birds and a wonderful look at your world, Findlay! Looks as though you have a great trip!! Thanks for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovley shots Findlay. RSPB Conwy is a great place to see a real variety of birds. I think your bird is a Curlew rather than a Whimbrel. Whimbrels have a smaller bill and slightly different patterning on the head. Still a great bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed your trip and got to see lots of the birds you love - that's a great view of Snowdonia from where you were - and yes we always see loads of buzzards flying over the A55!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful series. Wonderful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Conwy is my favourite reserve when I visit north Wales Findlay. An excellent place. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great record of your visit Findlay, it is indeed a Curlew but a great shot nonetheless. As Sharon said we have lots of Buzzards down here in North Wales, we see them whenever we are out and about and I get them in my garden, there is a pic of one on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and photos. Glad you had a nice time . We here in Southwestern Ontario Canada are awaiting the return of the Tundra Swans for the winter months . Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots from your holiday Findlay I'm so pleased you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots of a gorgeous area and wildlife ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos makes this a perfect WBW post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the swans are beautiful. so is the grand castle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some lovely photos Findlay, well done on seeing the Redshank sounds like you had a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great report on your birding outing. Sounds like you saw lots of great birds. Love the photos and the neat castle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots! Love the pose the swan is putting on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there - no painting on my Rainbows L's!

    I think you wader is a curlew - even if the beak looks a little shorter than a remember. Not that long ago the Little Egret would have been a mega bird - seems that they are far mroe common in the UK than in my day.

    Thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like a great area for birdwatching and your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos you got on your trip to this beautiful castle! I would love to see so many small egrets that you did, but I haven't seen any yet!
    Greetings Pia in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  23. It would be fun to visit a castle! These are great bird shots. Findlay!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely series of shots, Findlay!

    ReplyDelete