Tuesday 9 October 2012

Birding and Being A Goal Keeper!

You know Blue Tits, they are really wonderful birds you see, so I can't help taking pictures of them all the time. 


I play in goal for a local football team every Saturday morning. When I go and have a game of football it's always hard to concentrate when you see a Bullfinch fly over you or a Kestrel hovering just above the goal (and normally it costs me).


The Buzzards are still doing really well. They are getting quite brave and are coming right up to the fence at the moment.  I'm not going to encourage them though, they need to stay wary of people.


This is the first time I have got a picture of the adult and juvenille Buzzards standing together. I apologise for the picture being blurred, but I wanted to keep it for my records.


Starlings are really thriving at the moment and look, it's been framed!


I'm not sure I've mentioned this before but here in Moulton we have got a growing Starling roost. They line up on the power lines every evening.



The grass is really sprouting now, which makes a nicer view than potatos!


The Great Spotted Woodpecker just can't keep away at the moment. This has given me chance to get some better pictures.  I have learnt not to zoom in so much to get a much clearer picture.

Here's a shot of the pattern on it's back.


And finally a very, very rare bird - the Lesser Headed Collared Dove.


23 comments:

  1. those doves are cool! laughing at your bird-watching while playing football (soccer), though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonitas capturas,me gusta mucho la del Herrerillo comun.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pictures and nice humour Findlay. A choice is it - keep your eye on the ball or keep your eye on the bird? Looks like bottom of the footy league this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the read Findlay. The Lesser Headed Collared Dove is definitely good for a laugh....a new 'headless' species ehh!

    I hate to say this Findlay but....they're going to have to have a new goal keeper, you are much to busy birdwatching to be up for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Woodpecker Findlay. You need to get yourslef up front. You'll have less time to look around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did win 9 - 1 with some legendary saves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post Findlay... plenty of time for birdwatching if your teams doing that well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, another from you today?! Loving the woodpecker this one Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doves are very pretty birds.I can see why you like taking photos of those great-looking blue tits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post - love that starling photo - beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your win! Great post and I enjoyed the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we call it soccer, here in the u.s., it's my favorite sport!! i am happy to hear that you had some "legendary saves"!!

    great shots, i really love the woodpecker!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photos ! It's like seeing a photo opp when you don't have your camera annoying isn't it ? Yes Canadian's here also call it soccer but I may have been born Canadian but was raised old school British and yes football was what it was called by me mum and dad as well ! Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great series of photos with an interesting variety of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Findlay...Great post..I really like your framed shot : }My Grandson plays soccer, and doesn't like to play goalie, He says he feels real bad if he can't keep the ball out of the net, and the other team scores!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Findlay, I have the same problem, I'm a Manager of a team like yours except my lot are a bit older, but I am constantly distracted on the line whenever something flies over!! A great win, it must have been a quiet one for you in goal though! Sharon and I were admiring your Starling photo, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there - nice set of pictures, especially the Woodpecker. The Dove must be a new species to the UK!

    The Currawong is about the same size as a carrion crow - but they seem longer (I was surprised when I look up the measurements) - I think this is because they are much thinner looking than the crow - this must make then look longer.

    You need to start following Australia Rules Football - there are lots of 'bird' teams! Go the Hawks!

    Thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice shots Findlay.
    I like the framing of the Starling. The woodpecker is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos Findlay! I've been trying to get a good shot of a woodpecker all summer (I keep seeing him and snapping but there's always a branch in the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very fine post Findlay, and some lovely photos. I'm very envious of your woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice Blog, Findlay. Glad I stopped by :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great series Findlay, especially that Blue Tit.
    Birdwatching while in goal, hmmmm. lol
    My eyes are constantly looking for birds, even when I'm talking to people. They must think I'm very rude. lol

    ReplyDelete