Sunday 7 October 2012

Burton Mere

This morning I took a first time visit to Burton Mere on the Wirral which has loads of waders, some I haven't even seen before.

I did indeed enjoy watching the birds feeding off their feeders, especially the Chaffinch. As I continued walking I arrived at reception and when I looked out of the window there was a group of feeding Black Tailed Godwits. I also met a very kind and helpful man called Austin, who gave me loads of help and plenty of advice of what was lurking around at the moment.


When I arrrived at the last hide to visit, I noticed a wader wich had an extremely long bill. And so when it turned around I noticed that it was not a Black tailed Godwit it was infact a Bar Tailed Godwit, a first for me.


Closely followed by a beautiful Ruff.

And then after ten or so minutes they joined together and had a massive feed. The brightest white birds I saw today was a lovely pair of little Egrets, but sadly I could not get a picture. I also noticed a few Snipe roosting in the newly cut reed beds.


On the way back to the car I spotted from the corner of my eye a female Merlin sitting happily on a fence post - I managed to get a picture. The Hen Harrier was also there. I did get a picture of that too, but it was terrible (really the picture was just a brown blob). 


When I looked up into the sky there was a Buzzard being tormented by Carrion Crows.


There was even one Buzzard waiting for me just behind the fence when I got home, which I got a splendid picture of.


A very interesting day of birds, with some nice new ones to study and enjoy.  There are lots of great pictures on the Burton Mere facebook page (we promised Austin we would put a link on).

Wild Bird Wednesday




19 comments:

  1. i've been happy to spot a few snipes here on our pond, too. your buzzard photo is lovely! such a proud hunter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saw some wonderful birds Findlay... and captured some great images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Findlay. Really like that one of the Merlin. Very jealous of that. A really great place and always something to see. Glad you saw the Hen Harrier. They are special birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post Findlay! My favourite of your pictures is the Merlin - a lucky break and a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pic of the Merlin Findlay, my most favourite bird of prey. Your enthusiasm shines through on every post.

    By the way, don't worry too much about the Buzzard/s you see in the field at home, they shouldn't be worrying anyone like those mentioned in my latest post on raptor persecution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Findlay...These are awesome photos..I like the Chaffinch, and the Merlin on that nice fence!!
    I enjoyed you post!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos, the Merlin and Godwit are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great birding day! Nice photos too :) /Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great birding day Findlay! MOST of my pictures of birds are "brown blobs"....for you it is an exception, because most of your pictures are exceptionally fine! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Findlay, sounds like you had a great bird outing. Love the Godwits and the Ruff. the Snipes are a favorite of mine. Cool sighting of the merlin and buzzard, great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Findlay - you're putting together some great shots for us. Looks like you get so much out of your visits to the nature reserve. I really like the buzzard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice shot of the merlin - well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos and it looks like a perfect place to watch waders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You captured a great variety! I like the one with reflection in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An awesome birding day Findlay! That shot of the Merlin on the fence is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a beautiful place to go birding. You got some lovely shots, Findlay,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Merlin and Buzzard images...wish they were larger to view better...very nice~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to be able to get a new species.

    ReplyDelete