Monday 26 November 2012

A Hand Full of Gold - BTO part 2

This is part 2 of my day at Martin Mere, when I met Andy and Brian who are ringers for the BTO.

The last bird that we got out of the net was .....................  a Gold Crest (the smallest bird in Europe), which I was made up with.


I was so interested in the fact that when Andy blew on the top of the head, burning orange flared from the crest on top of the head which proved it was a male, since the females crest doesn't flare orange underneath.


They are so small that their beak is only as long as your finger nail, however it doesn't change the fact that they are beautiful birds.


I was taught a lot that day and learned how to hold a small bird (two fingers alongside the neck and your thumb just above the Tarsus so it acts like a cage), and how to ring a bird, measure a birds wing, check to see if it's a male or a female and check to see if it's young or old.


Again the most enjoyable bit was watching the bird fly free and unharmed at the end.


I think I've got a head start to being a good bird ringer. I just can't wait to start my training.

21 comments:

  1. wow that is small - I missed all this going on when I was there Findlay, look forward to hearing more, looks like you were in your element there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic to see Findlay and you got to hold another beautiful bird. I have photos of a pair of Goldcrests I saw near Haydn's Pool, lovely little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sure had a great day there Findlay, a Goldcrest is a beautiful little bird to see up close, we missed all that going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll make a very good 'ringer'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post. It is amazing how small they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts just get better and better Findlay! I guess, however, that this is one day that you'll remember for the rest of your life. It's hard to imagine a more magical experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So small...it must have been a great to hold one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great experience Findlay and you like a natural, lovely post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great experience!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a bird that small, much less held one. What an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really great you got to hold that tiny thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi !
    Thank you for your kind message posted on "Les Fous du Cap". We followed your adventure. To ring birds it is great ;-)
    CĂ©line & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful little bird and a great experience to hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful experience good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that banding (as we call "ringing" in Australia) is a great way to get to know birds even better. Being able to look at any bird in the hand is a real pleasure.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, interesting post, Findlay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic experience you had! To actually hold a Gold Crest, not to mention the woodpecker, and then to see them fly free! Thank you for sharing your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. a very nice bird that I rarely see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look WAY smaller than Australia's smallest bird - the Weebill - I'd be afraid to hold it in case I injured it! Very interesting post!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good post Findlay - a beuatiful bird for sure, very educational too.

    I could start yet another great debate on ringing, the pros and the cons, but I guess you have years ahead of you to learn and figure it all out - safe to say it isnt for me.

    Youve embrased the world of birding, what a wonderful life ahead for you, I was a late comer to it, so feel I missed out on 30 years... damn!

    ReplyDelete